Normally there will be some expenses when you decide to pursue a big dream, or make a drastic life change. Whether it is needing further education, purchasing equipment or joining networking groups, you will probably need money to accomplish your goals. Following are several ideas you might find helpful as you look for ways to save.
- Save automatically. The easiest and most effective way to save is to set up automatic savings.
- Establish short-term savings goals. Not only does this keep the thought of saving front and center, it also gives you a sense of achievement on an ongoing basis.
- Save those big refunds. Any time you receive a bonus at work, get a tax refund, or win money, put most of it in your savings account.
- Determine hours worked for money spent. When you plan to purchase something, not only take 24 hours to decide if you really need it, but also figure out how many hours you will have to work in order to earn that amount of money. Is it really worth it? If so, buy it. If not, let it go.
- Always take advantage of employer matches to your 401k. Of course!
- Don’t pay interest. Always pay your credit card bill in full each month. If you have a balance now, make it your first priority to pay it off. Paying interest is throwing money away.
- Live below your means. This is a big one and it is a mindset. At first you might think you cannot, that you need every penny you make. But if you establish a budget and only buy what you really need, you will be able to save money.
- Use the library. This is something I have to remind myself to do, as I love to buy books from Amazon. It’s just so easy. But after I’ve read a book, I normally have no reason to keep it. So I wasted money if I could have gotten it at the library.
- Pack your lunch. Not only will this save you money, you can pack food that is probably healthier than what you will purchase in a restaurant. Tip yourself!
I’m guessing most of us don’t enjoy trying to find ways to save money, but doing so will help us toward achieving our goals. And that is worth it.