Once in a while you see an article that states clutter is the sign of a genius at work. That is not true. A disorganized environment filled with stacks of papers, dirty dishes or clothes tossed where they should not be can make a simple daily task into a big chore.
A disorganized workplace can hold you back from achieving your goals, and it can be depressing. Almost everything takes longer if you work amid clutter. Just looking at a messy desk makes it hard to start the day efficiently, and can add to your daily stress. According to the National Association of Professional Organizations, paper is the biggest clutter problem most businesses face, with over 4 hours a week spent searching for papers. That’s over 8 full days a year!
Following are a couple steps you can take to start decluttering your workspace:
- Get rid of paper, keep as many documents online as possible, neatly file the rest.
- Keep a notepad for reminders, rather than multiple notes.
- Keep desk photos to a limit, perhaps create a collage instead of having multiple pictures.
- Keep only one memento at a time on your desk, rotating your favorites.
- Organize your desk drawers making it easy to store and retrieve supplies.
- Create a to-do list at the end of each workday, with the next day’s priorities. Keep it in the middle of your desk so you can dive right in the next morning.
- Be sure and clear papers, except the to-do list, off your desk each evening.
Having a clean and organized workspace will save you time and enable you to focus on achieving your goals. We all want that.