We live such very busy lives, and don’t often stop to simply take care of ourselves. It’s wonderful to help others, and many of us are responsible for the well-being of others. However, there is a reason you are told on an airplane to always put your own oxygen mask on first. We can’t really help anyone else, unless we take care of ourselves first.
Following are some tips for taking care of ourselves:
- Sit quietly for at least 15 minutes every single day, twice a day is even better. Take this time to reflect on what you are grateful for, what you want to accomplish and the life you want to create. Burn a candle, put on soft music, meditate, or simply do what works best for you.
- Take a break from work, play, be intentionally lazy. I learned the phrase intentionally lazy, and the importance of it, while going through Tony Robbins coach institute. Sometimes we feel guilty just taking time to play and socialize with others. We need this for our health, we deserve it.
- Take a walk in nature and enjoy the sounds, smells and air. Whether you walk in a forest or along the beach, nature is healing in so many ways. It brings us back to ourselves and the beauty of life.
- Exercise at least 3 days a week. Ideally, we should exercise more than this, but 3 days a week is a start if you aren’t exercising at all. This could be that great walk in nature above.
- Treat yourself to a simple bath with calming essential oils. Spas are awesome, a real treat, but if it isn’t in the budget, we can treat ourselves at home.
- Take time to read about health trends, learn what superfoods you can add to a morning smoothie to improve your health. You can drink to good health and have a great tasting drink to start your day.
Not only is it necessary to take care of you, doing so makes you a great example to family members and a much stronger more positive person. And, you deserve it.